President & CEO
Kenneth A. Himmel is President and Chief Executive Officer of Related Urban, the nation's leading developer of large-scale mixed-use properties. He is also the Managing Partner of Gulf Related, an Abu Dhabi based joint venture between Related Companies and Gulf Capital.
Under Mr. Himmel's leadership, Related Urban has captured the world's attention with iconic, award-winning destinations that include CityPlace in West Palm Beach; Time Warner Center and Hudson Yards in New York; the Grand Avenue redevelopment project in downtown Los Angeles; Related Santa Clara in Santa Clara; California and The Galleria and Central in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
The developments have had a profound impact on their surrounding environments – neighborhoods that have become vibrant, contemporary urban centers.
· In West Palm Beach, CityPlace is a 72-acre upscale urban lifestyle destination of shops, restaurants, apartments, condominiums and offices. It includes several city blocks, and is credited with the West Palm Beach's urban renewal.
· In New York City, Hudson Yards is the largest private real estate development in United States history, and the largest development in New York since Rockefeller Center. The site will include more than 18-million square feet of commercial and residential space, state-of-the-art office towers, more than 100 shops including New York's first Neiman Marcus, and a collection of restaurants curated by Chef Thomas Keller.
· Also in New York, Time Warner Center, which opened in 2004, is a 2.8-million square foot mixed-use project at Columbus Circle that includes residences, offices, the Mandarin Oriental New York, Jazz at Lincoln Center, The Shops at Columbus Circle, and The Restaurant & Bar Collection that features world class dining by chefs Thomas Keller, Masa Takayama, Michael Lomonaco and Marc Murphy.
· In California, the iconic Frank Gehry designed Grand Avenue development project in Los Angeles, will revitalize downtown LA's cultural and civic center; in Silicon Valley, a 240-acre mixed-used development will create a dynamic city center for Santa Clara delivering a master planned downtown including retail, entertainment, hotels, office and residential with more than 9 million square feet.
As Co-Managing Partner of Gulf Related, Mr. Himmel oversees the pursuit of the largest luxury mixed-use development in Abu Dhabi. Gulf Related is currently developing and operating two major projects in Abu Dhabi:
· The Galleria on Al Maryah Island, a 355,000-square foot shopping and dining destination which opened in 2013. It is the region's ultimate fashion, luxury retail, dining and entertainment destination. It has the highest concentration of luxury retailers – set against a modern, vibrant and striking waterfront promenade.
· Al Mayah Central, a 2.3-million square foot shopping center anchored by the first international Macy's and a Bloomingdale's department store, and an adjacent hotel and residential towers.
Mr. Himmel is an expert in creating thriving developments that bring forth the energy and vitality of an urban destination that resonates with existing local lifestyle and culture.
His past developments reflect his success: Water Tower Place and 730 North Michigan in Chicago; Copley Place in Boston; Reston Town Center in Reston, Virginia and Pacific Place in Seattle. Mr. Himmel is also responsible for the formation of a restaurant collection in Boston that includes the legendary Grill 23 & Bar (celebrating its 30th Anniversary), The Harvest Restaurant, Post 390 and Bistro du Midi.
Mr. Himmel received a Bachelor of Science degree with distinction from Cornell University - School of Hotel Administration (where he fosters ongoing mentorship); and a Bachelor of Science degree from The College of William and Mary.